Have you ever wondered: where does this link that just arrived in the mail go? A URL redirects checker follows the URL path, that is, where the link that has reached us points. It will show us the full redirect path of URLs, abbreviated links or small URLs.
It is also known as URL verifier, redirect checker, link tracker, URL crawler, redirect tracker, link follower, 301 redirect checker, redirect tracker, URL tester, etc.
A 301 redirect forwards you from one URL to another and with an HTTP status code of 301. Response code 301 designated this redirect as “Permanently Moved”. This is similar to forwarding your email from your old home address to your new permanent home address. Example of 301 redirection:
https://oldweb.com -> https://newweb.com
Family Code Ratio 3 ##
- 300 Multiple Choice. Status code 300 indicates multiple options. The target resource has more than one representation, each with its own more specific identifier, and information about alternatives is provided so that the user (or user agent) can select a preferred representation by redirecting their request to one or more of those identifiers.
- 301 Moved Permanently. E l code 301 indicates that the resource has been moved permanently, as we saw at the beginning of this section.
- 302 Found. The 302 status code found indicates that the target resource temporarily resides in a different uniform resource identifier (URI). Because redirection can sometimes be modified, the client must continue to use the effective request URI for future requests.
- 303 See Other. Status code 303 indicates that the server is redirecting the user agent to a different resource, as indicated by a URI in the Location header field, which is intended to provide an indirect response to the original request.
- 304 Not Modified. Status code 304 (Unmomended) indicates that a conditional GET or HEAD request has been received and would have resulted in a 200 (OK) response if not for the fact that the condition was evaluated as false. In other words, the server does not need to transfer a representation of the target resource because the request indicates that the client, which made the conditional request, already has a valid representation.
- 305 Use Proxy. It is deprecated.
- 306 Unused. It’s not used anymore either.
- 307 Temporary Redirect. Temporary redirect status code 307 indicates that the target resource temporarily resides in a different URI, and the user agent MUST NOT change the request method if it automatically redirects to that URI. Because redirection may change over time, the client must continue to use the original effective request URI for future requests.
- 308 Permanent Redirect. Status code 308 (Permanent Redirection) indicates that the target resource has been assigned a new permanent URI, and any future reference to this resource must use one of the attached URIs.
Why use a redirects checker?
This redirection tracking tool allows you to troubleshoot link issues and realize competitive intelligence in a way that wasn’t possible before. The page we are going to use is as follows: https://wheregoes.com/
We put a link that is shortened as for example: https://bit.ly/3oe1hCZ. If you click on the link you will see that it redirects you to the news of The Voice of Galicia. We tested this link on wheregoes.
As you can see in the full traceability there is only one 301 redirect. Link: https://wheregoes.com/trace/20211780813/.
Tool to combat spam or phishing
One way to combat spam or phishing or any other type of online scam is to use this tool. To prove its effectiveness we go to the mailinator page, a page where there are public mailboxes. We enter the tray of any name what can be john and look for an email that surely has redirects.
I picked a betting email. As you can see it has 2 302 redirects and the page at the end points to the littlespoon.com. If you get an sms or phishing email do not click on the link. Copy the link and paste it into this tool to really see where it’s going. You had doubts before you pressed, when you see traceability, you’ll see it’s a hoax.